Book Title: Navigating the Social World: A Curriculum for Individuals with Asperger's Syndrome, High Functioning Autism and Related Disorders
Publisher: Future Horizons
Author: Jeanette McAfee
Pediatrician Jeanie McAfee originally created this user-friendly social curriculum for her daughter Rachel, who was diagnosed with Asperger's at age ten. Since then, it has become a staple for parents and educators. It addresses the most urgent problems facing those with Asperger's Syndrome, high-functioning autism, and related disorders.
Dr. McAfee covers how to:
- increase communication skills
- recognize and cope with emotions
- recognize and prevent stress
- develop abstract thinking skills
- address behavioral problems
Tasks are broken down into small steps, repeated until they are mastered, then generalized. Helpful handouts, templates, and forms will help keep teachers and learners on track.
Helpful sections include:
- Recognizing and Coping with One’s Own Emotions
- Communication and Social Skills
- Abstract Thinking Skills
- Behavioral Issues